Search Engine Optimization or SEO is the technique to get ahead of others in the rankings of search engines such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo. There is no doubt that SEO is really vital for websites to earn traffic. Organizations invest a lot of time, effort, and money to get their websites optimized for search engines. But is it possible they could be doing just the opposite? Are they committing SEO mistakes which are pushing them down rather than up the rankings of search engines? Check out if you are making the following mistakes:
1) Content is King: If you have low-quality, crappy content on your website, then it is time to say bye bye to your SEO rankings. That is because search engines hold content with high regard. If your content is bad, your rankings are going to be bad. How to enhance the content on your website? Make sure it is informative and provides appropriate knowledge to your readers. More words the better. Ideally it should be beyond 600 words touching around 1000 words. It should be grammatically correct with proper sentence construction, no spelling mistakes, right usage of punctuation etc. Readers would not stay long on a page which is poorly written. People would avoid linking to your website if they see poor content.
2) Plagiarized content: Content on your website or blog should be unique and not copied from elsewhere. Using plagiarized or duplicate content is one of the worst SEO mistakes one can make. Also two different pages on the same website should not have the same content. This is a big no-no for search engines and you are likely to be discarded from search results. Use plagiarism checking softwares to ensure there is no duplicate content.
3) Too many keywords: Keyword stuffing is an unscrupulous and unethical practice by some desperate SEO enthusiasts to get rankings. First of all, content stuffed with keywords becomes awkward to read. These keywords appear out of context and unnatural leaving the reader scratching his head. Plus search engines have become smarter. Such pages containing excessive keywords would be filtered out or demoted in rankings. In some cases it would be removed altogether. Moral of the story: Write in a normal manner with keywords thrown in as naturally as possible.
4) Ignoring the mobile revolution: Just as there was a computer revolution few decades back, today we are seeing a mobile revolution. If you are not sure, just look around you. Almost every other person seems to be using a smartphone. And those who are not using are most likely seriously considering buying. Not having a mobile phone nowadays is almost equal to living in the prehistoric times. One of the common SEO mistakes websites make is underestimating the power of the mobile. Webpages which are not mobile-friendly give a poor experience. And search engines are first to notice this fact. If a website does not offer good mobile experience, it is likely to lose rankings. A smooth mobile experience also facilitates load speed, page appearance, font size, video loading etc.
5) Not getting expert advice: Most blog or website owners think they are SEO experts once they read up on SEO on the net. They feel now they know all about SEO. But trust me, SEO is not that simple. It is like watching few medical YouTube videos and thinking you have become a doctor. Somethings are best left to the experts. New strategies and techniques are always cropping up in the field of SEO. In your busy schedule, it is not possible to keep abreast of what is happening in the SEO world. Whereas an SEO professional is skilled in his domain awareness. He continuously upgrades his knowledge in his field of expertise. So our opinion is if you do not have the time to dedicate to the search engine rankings of your website, hire a full-time professional.
Though these 5 common SEO mistakes are obvious not everyone are aware of them. Moreover the SEO field is an ever expanding field. Whatever is applicable now, may be obsolete tomorrow. So keep abreast of the latest happenings on a regular basis.